Bones and Breast Cancer

      3 Comments on Bones and Breast Cancer

It’s almost race time. The annual Race for the Cure and my annual self-flogging for not running and training all summer like I should have. But it’s all for a good cause. The Komen Race for the Cure is a great cause all by itself, but I have a reason much closer to home.

Race for the Cure 2009

Cindy at the finish in 2009!

Why I Run

No question that breast cancer is a horrible disease. Until recently, it was a disease that Other People got. But you know… cancer can strike anyone. And it did. My best friend Cindy (aka Peach) is a veterinarian, a specialist in internal medicine, and currently a surgical resident, too. Pretty impressive. She is also a cancer survivor.

I interviewed her on About.com and despite the gravity of the subject, she writes about her cancer with the same wit and humor she always has.

It’s hard being on the sidelines. I want to DO something. Fix something. Help my friend kick this $%&# thing called cancer. That is how I got involved in the Race for the Cure. We made a video, formed a race team, and created a team web site. Although not in that order. We did everything at once!

What Does a Donation Really Do?

Cindy recently sent this out to our team:

“Ever wonder where the money goes?  I sure do.  The majority of the money raised in Oregon stays to help patients in Oregon – 75% of it to be exact.  The other 25% goes to the national Komen organization.  This year four major research grants from that national fund came back to Oregon  – 3 of the 4 grants went to OHSU and 1 went to Providence.  So the majority of the money we raise here stays here to help the people we know.

I was diagnosed with “Triple Negative” breast cancer 3 years ago now.  This form of breast cancer carries one of the worst prognoses with the highest incidence of resistant, aggressive recurrence, usually within the first 5 years after diagnosis.  Luckily only 15% of breast cancers are of this type.  Part of the problem is that up to this point there have been no real effective treatments identified for triple negative disease.  However, in the last year PARP inhibitors have surfaced as a potential treatment to slow metastatic triple negative cancer.  Research funding, largely from Komen, allowed for this discovery. Let’s help the researchers find something to prevent metastatic spread next….:

Saying Thank You

There are so many causes now, it is easy to become overwhelmed by the many valid and necessary pleas to help animals and humans. But this is my annual “Blog The Change” for humans. In this case, a human that does a LOT to help animals.

Bones and Beads!

Each year, I do something new as a thank you for donations to our Race for the Cure team. This year, it is exclusive black and pink dog bones, pictured below. I am not using this color combo anywhere else. The color combo was requested inspired by my best friend Heather and her Tail Wagging Muse. These bones are available, wired up with sterling and Swarovski crystals, for donations of $50 or more on my behalf to our Race for the Cure team. I also have other Race for the Cure handmade beads available.

Note: The donations go directly to Komen. I do not handle the money at all, and I contribute the shipping costs. All bones will be wired up with sterling silver, Swarovski crystals, and made as a pendant for humans or with a larger clip for your favorite anipal’s collar.

2010 Race for the Cure Bones

It took me a few times to get the colors “just right” – pink can be a fickle color when working with glass. What it looks like pre-melting isn’t necessarily what comes out of the kiln. Pictured below are some of the other candidates. The first attempts are more purple-y blue than pink. Very nice, but not the pink pop! I was going for. If you would like those colors, though, just let me know. And… if you have a super special color request, maybe we can work something out.  😉

I also have other Race for the Cure handmade beads available.

Bones and more bones

August 25, 2010 update: new bone and bead photos

Learn more: Team Web site | Facebook | Flickr